White paper: Managing grief in the workplace
Different people react to grief in different ways, and it’s important that employers and managers never assume that they know what a particular employee might be going through after a bereavement. It’s equally important to let the employee know you’re thinking about them and care about their wellbeing – even if you’re unsure what the best way is to go about this.
In this short white paper, Aviva outline five things to bear in mind when developing a policy to support bereaved employees:
- Don’t assume back to work is back to normal
- It’s fine to say that you don’t know what to say
- Don’t be tempted to get the conversation ‘over with’
- Have a policy, but be flexible
- Recognise that grief isn’t just for close family