Presenteeism: A review of current thinking
Presenteeism – where workers attend work whilst ill – is an increasing problem as organisations continue to try to achieve more with less. This report from the IES looks at an overview of research and current thinking in the field.
- As organisations attempt to drive down absenteeism they risk increasing presenteeism instead.
- Presenteeism is more prevalent than absenteeism.
- Unlike sickness absence it’s also significantly related to performance.
- In the longer term presenteeism may be more damaging for employee's health, morale and productivity.
- The promotion of a healthy workplace should drive down both absenteeism and presenteeism rather than one at the cost of the other.